Chippenham Town Council becomes a White Ribbon Campaign Supporter Organisation
Chippenham Town Council have agreed to work collaboratively with local agencies and organisations in tackling violence against women and girls in our town.
They agreed to make available awareness training to Councillors and officers on how to identify and address this issue.
The Council agreed to become a White Ribbon Campaign supporter Organisation as soon as practicable, and investigate the potential to be a White Ribbon Accredited Council.
Since then, Chippenham Town Council has signed up to become a White Ribbon Supporter organisation and is committed to achieving the following:
- Encourage all staff to make the White Ribbon Promise to never commit, excuse, or remain silent about male violence against women.
- Recruit at least one male staff member to take on the role of White Ribbon Ambassador (or woman Champion if there are no male staff who can undertake this role).
- Customer-facing staff to wear a White Ribbon and display it where appropriate, especially around White Ribbon Day, 25 November.
- Post the ‘White Ribbon Supporter’ badge on the Town Council’s website.
- Hold at least one awareness and fundraising event, or activity a year in consultation with Town Councillors, probably around White Ribbon Day 25 November.
- Ensure the Town Council has policies or protocols in place if staff or customers disclose they are victims of violence.
- Make sure women know where to get help by displaying posters and ‘find help cards’ at our customer reception points
After making that commitment, the Town Council has implemented the following:
- The Head of Community Development has invited Helping Victims of Domestic Violence, a local organisation, to provide an update on their work at the Community Safety Forum meeting.
- A Democratic Services Officer has been recruited to be the Council’s White Ribbon Ambassador and will attend training.
- The White Ribbon badge will be displayed on the Council’s website
- Informative posters are displayed at Customer Service points
- ‘Find Help Cards’ are available at Customer Service points
- A fundraising activity has been scheduled in the civic event calendar for later this year.