John Coles Park Centenary Celebrations
John Coles Park turns 100 on Sunday 6 August 2023 and Chippenham Town Council are inviting residents to mark this historic occasion.
The event will be "Roaring 20s" themed with lots of fun and free activities for all the family to enjoy. You are encouraged to dress in the attire of this time period if you would like to.
Some of the attractions will include:
- Traditional carousel and swing boats
- Chloe’s Mobile Farm
- Clare’s Circus activities
- 1920’s props for dressing up selfies
- Atwell Wilson will be bringing a 1920’s car of the day
- British Martial Arts demonstrations and opportunity to try out
- Horse drawn covered wagon for rides around the park
- Town Mayor’s Tombola
- Participate in some sporting activities
- Chippenham Museum will bring oral history recording equipment along to record memories of the park to connect with the photographic project.
The programme for the day includes:
- Ivan Andre Trumpet Player 11am to 1pm
- Allsorts Choir 1.30pm to 2pm
- Trip for Biscuits Band 2pm to 2.30pm
- Dance Academy 2.30pm to 2.45pm
- Trip for Biscuits Band 2.45pm to 3.15pm
- Time Capsule Event in the Sensory Garden 3.15pm – 3.30pm
- Trip for Biscuits Band 3.30pm to 4pm
The kiosk and an additional unit will be open for refreshments, and there will be a food court with offers from The Rolling Stoves, The Pasty Cove and Ranch Pizzas. Please feel free to bring your picnics, blankets and chairs to be able to sit and enjoy the entertainment.
Please note: For this event, the car park in John Coles Park will be reserved for blue badge holders. If you are able, please use public transport or walk to the park.
Chippenham Town Council will be burying a time capsule within the park grounds containing objects related to “the way we live”.
We are seeking ideas from Chippenham residents to determine which items could be preserved within the time capsule. Some examples that have already been identified include pictures of John Coles Park, an item from the park’s kiosk and a newspaper from the day. Suggested items will first be assessed in terms of their practicality for inclusion in the time capsule. The Mayor of Chippenham will select the final objects.
If you have an idea for an item which demonstrates or summarises “the way we live”, please contact the council via firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday 23 July.